The 1992 Carandiru massacre, just now going to trial.
Testimony from the former director of discipline at the Carandiru prison, Moacir dos Santos, was completed this Monday evening in the Criminal Forum of Barra Funda (Western Zone of Sao Paulo).
It was the first day in the trial of a second group of police officers accused of the 1992 massacre. In this proceeding, 26 military police are accused of killing 73 prisoners on the third floor of Pavilion 9. Today’s session lasted nearly 12 hours.
Santos, like two other survivors of the massacre, was a witness in the first case who was reused in the second, using a video deposition.
In April, 23 PMs were convicted and sentences to 156 years in the deaths of 13 prisoners from the second floor, The prosecutor also reused the testimony of retired investigator Osvaldo Negrini Neto, who performed the forensic examination of the scene. Negrini testified in person.
According to the discipline director, the military police — PMs — of ROTA who entered Pavilion 9 of the prison on the pretext of putting down a prison rebellion failed to honor an agreement reached with a commission of negotiators seeking to contain the conflict. The PMs “screamed like Indians, or someone who has just scored a goal.”
The ex-director says there was no rebellion at the prison on the day of the invasion, as the State alleged at the time and as defense attorneys have also argued. He said it was a matter of “payback” by one faction against another, explainiing the fact that no prison employees were held hostage at any time .
According to this testimony, a negotiation team was organized, comprising the state public safety secretary at the time, Pedro Franco de Campos, his deputy, Antonio Filardi Diniz, two judges and the prison commander.
“I passed one of the PMs in the patio who had been part of the fight When he opened the basement, everything the negotiations had achieved collapsed. I saw submissive prisoners being machine-gunned,” the witness said, in reference to prisoners who were in the main yard, separate from the action, as they returned from such areas as the chapel or football field.
“They would not even respect Col. Ubiratan [Guimarães]”, he said, referring to the commander of the mission, who was assassinated in 2006, in São Paulo.
By his girlfriend. The colonel had a brief political career in which he chose the number 111 as his ballot number: the number of corpses left behind at Carandiru.
Asked in April by the judge assigned the case at that time, José Augusto Marzagão, whether prisoners were yelling so loud that no dialogue could be held, he denied it. He emphasized that the state of “euphoria” was visible only on the side of the police, when prisoners discarded edged weapons they had in their cells.
According to the witness, the autorities worked hard to ensure that the forensic examination of the location of the massacre would be compromised.
Like other witnesses and survivors, he said the prisoners were obliged to drag corpses up the stairs so that the IML he said that prisoners were force to drag corpses down the stairs so that the coroner could collect them, but that the bodies were sent to three different IML labs in order to throw reporters and family members off the trail.”
Did he believe that the long time it took to obtain permision to enter was deliberate? Santos said, “If the prisoners were lying dead in their cells and it took three or four hours for us to gain access, I believe they did not want us to find out where the prisoners were killed. But the bullet wounds were there: the beds full of bullet holes, they looked like sieves,” he said.
The witness recounted how, during the mopping up, prison employees verified that one of the cells was locked, with 11 prisoners inside — all shot to death.
Other prosecution and defense witnesses
In testimony replayed on video, ex-prisoner Antonio Carlos Dias, 47, said in a deposition taken in April that he say “a lot of prisoners” being killed by PMs while they “climbed over heaps of corpses” of massacred prisoners.
Another survivor, Marco Antonio de Moura, 44, says that, although he was wounded, he did not raise his hand when PMs, after the massacre, asked if anyone was wounded. “Wounded prisoners who raised their hands we never saw again.” He says he was saved by a “guardian angel.”
Six defense witnesses are scheduled for Friday (30), two of which will be reused as videotaped evidence. Neither the state high court nor the defense confirmed the names of witnesses, but it is possible that ex-governor Luiz Antônio Fleury Filho and his Secretary of Public Safety will be recalled to the stand to be heard.
Jury is more masculine, mature
The Council of Security [jury] thtat will decide the future of the 26 PMs comprises seven men, most of them appearing to be in their thirties. The last jury, which was mixed in gender and relatively younger, had jurors who had not been born when the massacre took place.
Três dos 26 réus não compareceram à sessão. Não foram divulgados os motivos da ausência deles pelo TJ e pela advogada Ieda Ribeiro de Souza.
A sessão nesta terça será retomada às 10 horas. A previsão do juiz Rodrigo Tellini é que o segundo júri seja encerrado até a madrugada de sexta (2) para sábado (3).
Over the years, ROTA has remained proud of its death-dealing reputation (above).
The current state government has finally realized that this is the worst PR imaginable, and taken steps to separate Facebook “likers” of a ROTA commander from the organization itself.
The new commandant of the Polícia Militar, Benedito Meira, said that in order to rescue the image of Rota — Ronda Ostensiva Tobias de Aguiar — he is going to take action against Facebook pages that incite to violence.
The announcement was made July 28 to the Estado de São Paulo.
The Facebook page “Admiradores da Rota”,– ROTA Admirers — which is liked by more than 120,000, makes constant use of police pointing weapons at civilians or skull and bones symbols. The commandant believe these imagens sullly the image of the force.
I will tell you what sullies the reputation of ROTA for me: The modest altar in the small park near our home. No more than 20 meters from our living room, bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang.
The victim is a close neighbor possibly involved in a simple breathalyzer stop.
Seeing ROTA tooling around in its new SUVs gives me the creeps.
Former Rota commander and current city council member of São Paulo, Paulo Telhada, agrees with the commandant. He aruges that these pages associated with the force are not official. “The commandant is right. The problem is not that we publicize our actions, but the manner in which this is done,” said Telhada, who has himself been accused of using his own page to make apologies for violence.
Telhada is an abomination — he campaigned for his seat on Facebook, using many images of himself in unifom — who has put himself forward to head the Human RIghts Committee.
Filed under: Brazil |